Support Ascension's Athletic Teams
Ascension has two soccer teams and one volleyball team this year. The athletic participation fee is $40. Mrs. Wright (Anderson) will distribute each uniform as each scholar’s athletic fee is paid.
Here are the schedules for our fall sports teams:
The Ascension Athletic Program is designed to be a part of the total development of the children in the school and parish. Our primary emphasis is on education and moral development. We are members of the Monsignor Coates Youth Organization (MCYO). To this end, the purpose of the Athletic Program is to develop moral attitudes, physical skills, and a sense of responsibility, sportsmanship, and self-discipline within a Catholic Christian educational atmosphere.
- Eligibility for team sports is from 3rd through 8th grade, and open to both boys and girls of the Ascension School or parish. Ascension teams are subject to all the rules and regulations of the MCYO in which they participate.
- There are high educational expectations placed upon athletes in Ascension School, thus it is expected that an athlete will work to the best of his/her ability on academic subjects. If a scholar is not working up to the best of his/her ability, the teacher is responsible for notifying the principal, who will in turn notify the Athletic Director. A plan will be worked out to aid the child in improving his/her work habits.
- There are equally high expectations placed on athletes in Ascension School to conduct themselves in accordance with school policies and procedures concerning behavior and attitude. Should a child have behavioral problems, the staff involved will monitor the child’s behavior and attitude with a view of concern. Then a decision will be made by staff regarding eligibility.
- Truancy and unexcused absences from school may result in suspension from the team.
- Misconduct, while participating in, or in attendance at an athletic event, may lead to suspension from the team and/or school.
- All scholars who participate in athletics will be governed by the Ascension School Discipline Policies and Procedures.
- Proper care of uniforms, equipment, and facilities is expected. Participants must pay for lost or damaged items.
- Coaches will be responsible for the conduct of their teams.
- The Athletic Director is responsible to notify the scholars, coaches, teachers, and principal regarding suspensions or problems that occur during practices and games.
- Players and parents of players shall show good sportsmanship by having respect for officials, spectators, or other players.
- Players and parents of players shall refrain from using obscene language or gestures in league activities.
- All players, parents of players, and coaches must have a signed Code of Conduct on file at the school for each sport in which there is participation.
- If a player is absent during a regular school day, excused or unexcused, that player may not participate in practice or play in a game on that day.
- Parental concerns should be discussed with the Athletic Director only. Our coaches are volunteering their own time. All situations should be dealt with exercising courtesy and respect.